8-MOP Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: 8-Mop, Oxsoralen-Ultra
Generic Name: methoxsalen (Pronunciation: meth OX a len)
- What is methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- What are the possible side effects of methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- What is the most important information I should know about methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- How should I take methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (8-MOP)?
- What happens if I overdose (8-MOP)?
- What should I avoid while taking methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- What other drugs will affect methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
Methoxsalen is a naturally occurring substance that is reactive to light. It works by enhancing the body's sensitivity to ultraviolet light A (UVA).
Methoxsalen is used in combination with UVA light therapy to treat severe psoriasis.
Methoxsalen is usually given after other psoriasis medications have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.
Methoxsalen may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Methoxsalen is expected to produce skin redness that may not occur until several hours after your UVA treatment. This redness may last for 2 or 3 days. You may also have slight swelling. These are normal effects of the medication and UVA treatment.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe skin redness within 24 hours after UVA treatment;
- severe itching, swelling, or severe skin discomfort;
- blisters, pimples, or skin rash;
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing "halos" around lights;
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- worsening of your psoriasis.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild skin redness, itching, or tenderness;
- depressed mood;
- feeling nervous;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- cold sores;
- headache, dizziness; or
- leg pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the 8-MOP (methoxypsoralen) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about methoxsalen (8-MOP)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to methoxsalen, if you have a condition that makes you more sensitive to light (lupus, porphyria, albinism, and others), or if you have a history of skin cancer or damage to the lenses of your eyes due to surgery, injury, or genetic condition.
Before taking methoxsalen, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, kidney or liver disease, a history of cataracts, a skin pigment disorder, if you are extremely sensitive to sunlight, if you have ever received radiation or x-ray therapy, or if you have recently gained or lost weight.
After taking methoxsalen and receiving UVA treatment, you must protect your eyes and skin from natural sunlight (even sun shining through a window). You may develop cataracts if you do not properly protect your eyes after you are treated with methoxsalen and UVA treatment.
Call your doctor at once if you have severe skin redness within 24 hours after UVA treatment, or if you have any severe effects on your skin such as swelling, itching, discomfort, blisters, or severe rash.
There are many other drugs that can interact with methoxsalen, including drugs applied to the skin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Additional 8-MOP Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.