"May 2, 2012 -- More than 50 years of data show that people with schizophrenia who take antipsychotic drugs lower their risk of relapse, a new study suggests.
Relapse rates were 64% in people not taking medications for schizophrenia, w"...
Abilify Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Abilify, Abilify Discmelt
Generic Name: aripiprazole (Pronunciation: AR i PIP ra zole)
- What is aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- What are the possible side effects of aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- How should I take aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Abilify)?
- What happens if I overdose (Abilify)?
- What should I avoid while taking aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- What other drugs will affect aripiprazole (Abilify)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is aripiprazole (Abilify)?
Aripiprazole is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.
Aripiprazole is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic depression). It is also used together with other medications to treat major depressive disorder in adults.
Aripiprazole is also used to treat irritability and symptoms of aggression, mood swings, temper tantrums, and self-injury related to autistic disorder in children who are at least 6 years old.
Aripiprazole may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Abilify 10 mg
rectangular, pink, imprinted with A-008 10
Abilify 15 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with A-009 15
Abilify 20 mg
round, white, imprinted with A-010 20
Abilify 30 mg
round, pink, imprinted with A-011 30
Abilify 5 mg
rectangular, blue, imprinted with A-007 5
What are the possible side effects of aripiprazole (Abilify)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using aripiprazole and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats;
- jerky muscle movements you cannot control;
- sudden numbness or weakness, headache, confusion, or problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- increased thirst or urination, loss of appetite, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, nausea, and vomiting;
- seizure (convulsions);
- thoughts of hurting yourself;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes); or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- choking or trouble swallowing;
- dizziness, drowsiness, or weakness;
- constipation, mild stomach upset;
- headache, anxiety;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- weight gain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Abilify (aripiprazole) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about aripiprazole (Abilify)?
Aripiprazole is not for use in psychotic conditions that are related to dementia. Aripiprazole may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
Stop using aripiprazole and call your doctor at once if you have the following symptoms: fever with stiff muscles and rapid heart rate; uncontrolled muscle movements; symptoms that come on suddenly such as numbness or weakness, severe headache, and problems with vision, speech, or balance.
Aripiprazole may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of aripiprazole.
Before you take aripiprazole, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by aripiprazole.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking aripiprazole.
Additional Abilify Information
- Abilify Drug Interactions Center: aripiprazole oral
- Abilify Side Effects Center
- Abilify Overview including Precautions
- Abilify FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Abilify - User Reviews
Abilify User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.