"Jan. 17, 2013 -- Cancer death rates have fallen by 20% from their peak about 20 years ago,┬according to the latest statistics from the American Cancer Society.
This means that from 1991 to 2009, 1.2 million lives were spared, includin"...
Abstral Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Abstral
Generic Name: fentanyl (sublingual) (Pronunciation: FEN tan il sub LIN gwal)
- What is fentanyl sublingual (Abstral)?
- What are the possible side effects of fentanyl (Abstral)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fentanyl (Abstral)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fentanyl (Abstral)?
- How should I take fentanyl sublingual (Abstral) (Abstral)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Abstral)?
- What happens if I overdose (Abstral)?
- What should I avoid while taking fentanyl (Abstral)?
- What other drugs will affect fentanyl (Abstral)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fentanyl sublingual (Abstral)?
Fentanyl sublingual (under the tongue) is a narcotic pain medicine.
Fentanyl sublingual tablets (Abstral) are used to treat "breakthrough" cancer pain. Abstral is taken together with other non-fentanyl narcotic pain medicine that is used around the clock. Abstral is not for treating pain that is not cancer-related, such as pain from surgery or dental work, migraine headaches, or back pain.
Fentanyl sublingual may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of fentanyl (Abstral)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using fentanyl and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- slow heart rate, weak or shallow breathing, sighing;
- confusion, extreme fear, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, dry mouth, constipation;
- headache, drowsiness, tired feeling; or
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Abstral (fentanyl sublingual tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fentanyl (Abstral)?
Before taking fentanyl, tell your doctor if you have a breathing disorder (asthma, wheezing, COPD), slow heartbeats, seizures, mental illness, low blood pressure, liver or kidney disease, a debilitating condition, or a history of head injury, brain tumor, or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Tell your doctor if there are children living in the home where you will store this medicine. Keep Abstral out of the reach of children. The amount of fentanyl in each Abstral tablet can be fatal to a child.
Additional Abstral Information
Abstral - User Reviews
Abstral User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.