"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Differin Gel 0.1% (adapalene), a once-daily topical gel for the over-the-counter (OTC) treatment of acne. Differin Gel 0.1% is approved for use in people 12 years of age and older.
Acanya Gel Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Acanya, BenzaClin, BenzaClin with pump, Duac, Z-Clinz 10, Z-Clinz 5
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical (Pronunciation: BEN zoyl per OX ide and clin da MYE sin)
- What is benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical (Acanya Gel)?
- What are the possible side effects of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- What is the most important information I should know about benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- How should I use benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- What other drugs will affect benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
- Where can I get more information?
What is benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical (Acanya Gel)?
Benzoyl peroxide has an antibacterial effect. It also has a mild drying effect that allows excess oil and dirt to be washed away.
Clindamycin is an antibiotic that prevents bacteria from growing on the skin.
The combination of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical are used to treat acne.
Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe redness, burning, stinging, or peeling of treated skin areas; or
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild burning or stinging;
- itching or tingly feeling;
- dryness or peeling of treated skin; or
- redness or other irritation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Acanya Gel (clindamycin phosphate 1.2% and benzoyl peroxide 2.5%) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical?
Use benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical exactly as your doctor has prescribed it for you. Using more medicine or applying it more often than prescribed will not make it work any faster, and may increase side effects. Do not use this medication for longer than your doctor has prescribed.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes, mouth, or nose (or in the creases of your nose), or on your lips. If it does get into any of these areas, wash with water. Do not apply this medicine to sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, irritated, or broken skin.
It may take several weeks before your symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed and tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve.
Although this medicine is applied to the skin, your body may absorb enough clindamycin to cause serious side effects. You may not be able to use this medication if you have inflammation of your intestines (also called enteritis), ulcerative colitis, or if you have ever had severe diarrhea caused by antibiotic medicine.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. This medication can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Additional Acanya Gel Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.