In this Article
- What other names is Acetyl-l-carnitine known by?
- What is Acetyl-l-carnitine?
- How does Acetyl-l-carnitine work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Acetyl-l-carnitine.
Interaction Rating: Major Do not take this combination.
Acenocoumarol (Sintrom) is used to slow blood clotting. Acetyl-L-carnitine might increase the effectiveness of acenocoumarol (Sintrom). Increasing the effectiveness of acenocoumarol (Sintrom) might slow blood clotting too much. The dose of your acenocoumarol (Sintrom) might need to be changed.
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
Warfarin (Coumadin) is used to slow blood clotting. Acetyl-L-carnitine might increase the effects of warfarin (Coumadin) and increase the chances of bruising and bleeding. Be sure to have your blood checked regularly. The dose of your warfarin (Coumadin) might need to be changed.
- For Alzheimer's disease: 1500-4000 mg daily, usually divided into two or three doses during the day.
- In age-related memory loss: 1500-2000 mg daily.
- For depression in the elderly: 1500-3000 mg daily in divided doses.
- For male infertility:
- 1 gram of acetyl-L-carnitine plus 2 grams of L-carnitine daily.
- 4000 mg daily has been used to improve sperm function.
- For male infertility secondary to abacterial prostatovesiculoepididymitis: acetyl-L-carnitine 500 mg plus carnitine 1 gram every 12 hours has been used following 2 months of treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- For Peyronie's disease: 1 gram twice daily for 3 months.
- For symptoms of age-related testosterone deficiency: 2 grams of acetyl-L-carnitine plus 2 grams of propionyl-L-carnitine daily.
- For diabetic neuropathy: 1500 to 3000 mg per day in divided doses.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.