Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
The symptoms of acute sinusitis arise from inflammation of the lining tissues of the paranasal sinuses. This condition often occurs with rhinitis (inflammation of the lining of the nose), and symptoms can include nasal congestion, runny nose, nasal pressure, headache, fever, cough, and tenderness of the face over the areas of the sinuses. Other symptoms that can be related to sinusitis are tooth pain, jaw pain, postnasal drip, redness of the nose, reddened cheeks, red eyelids, decreased sense of taste, decreased sense of smell, ear fullness, and nasal drainage. Generalized symptoms like fatigue are also typical.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Brook, Itzhak. "Acute Sinusitis." Medscape.com. Dec. 4, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/232670-overview>.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Main Article on Acute Sinusitis Symptoms and Signs
Acute Sinusitis Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Acute Sinusitis Symptoms and Signs
- amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600
- amoxicillin, Amoxil, Dispermox (Discontinued), Trimox, Moxatag, Larotid
- cefpodoxime proxetil - oral, Vantin
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- levofloxacin, Levaquin
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.