"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Adempas (riociguat) to treat adults with two forms of pulmonary hypertension.
Pulmonary hypertension is caused by abnormally high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs. It make"...
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
ADCIRCA® is indicated for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (WHO Group 1) to improve exercise ability. Studies establishing effectiveness included predominately patients with NYHA Functional Class II – III symptoms and etiologies of idiopathic or heritable PAH (61%) or PAH associated with connective tissue diseases (23%).
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
The recommended dose of ADCIRCA is 40 mg (two 20 mg tablets) taken once daily with or without food. Dividing the dose (40 mg) over the course of the day is not recommended.
Use In Special Populations
- Mild (creatinine clearance 51 to 80 mL/min) or moderate (creatinine clearance 31 to 50 mL/min): Start dosing at 20 mg once daily. Increase to 40 mg once daily based on individual tolerability.
- Severe (creatinine clearance < 30 mL/min and on hemodialysis): Avoid use of ADCIRCA because of increased tadalafil exposure (AUC), limited clinical experience, and the lack of ability to influence clearance by dialysis [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations].
- Mild or moderate (Child Pugh Class A or B): Because of limited clinical experience in patients with mild to moderate hepatic cirrhosis, consider a starting dose of 20 mg once per day.
- Severe (Child Pugh Class C): Patients with severe hepatic cirrhosis have not been studied. Avoid use of ADCIRCA [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations].
- No dose adjustment is required in patients > 65 years of age without renal impairment or hepatic impairment.
Use With Ritonavir
Co-administration of ADCIRCA in Patients on Ritonavir
In patients receiving ritonavir for at least one week, start ADCIRCA at 20 mg once daily. Increase to 40 mg once daily based upon individual tolerability [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, DRUG INTERACTIONS and CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY].
Co-administration of Ritonavir in Patients on ADCIRCA
Avoid use of ADCIRCA during the initiation of ritonavir. Stop ADCIRCA at least 24 hours prior to starting ritonavir. After at least one week following the initiation of ritonavir, resume ADCIRCA at 20 mg once daily. Increase to 40 mg once daily based upon individual tolerability [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, DRUG INTERACTIONS and CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY].
Dosage Forms And Strengths
20 mg, orange, film-coated, almond-shaped tablets (not scored) debossed with “4467”.
Storage And Handling
ADCIRCA (tadalafil) is supplied as follows: 20 mg orange, film–coated, almond–shaped tablets (not scored), debossed with “4467”
Bottles of 60 NDC 66302-467-60
Store at 25°C (77°F): excursions permitted to 15–30°C (59–86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. Keep out of reach of children.
Manufactured by: Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USAMarketed by: Lung Biotechnology Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of United TherapeuticsCorporation. Revised 04/2014
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/19/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Adcirca Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.