ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Symptoms related to inattention include trouble paying attention in school or work, the appearance of not listening, failing to complete assigned tasks, avoidance of activities that require sustained focus, losing things, and being easily distracted. Symptoms related to hyperactivity include restlessness, fidgeting, interrupting, frequent talking, intrusiveness, trouble paying attention, and trying to do multiple things at once.
Children and adults with ADHD may also have symptoms like insomnia, low tolerance for frustration, poor self-image, forgetfulness, disorganization, mood swings, and "hyperfocus," a tendency to intensely focus on one task or event that precludes focus on other necessary tasks.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Soreff, Stephen. "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder." Medscape.com. Feb. 4, 2014. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289350-overview>.
Main Article on ADHD Symptoms and Signs
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) Symptoms and Signs
- Avoidance of Activities Involving Sustained Focus
- Decreased Awareness of Consequences
- Decreased Motivation
- Frequent Talking
- Mood Swings
- Poor Self-Image
- Trouble Completing Assigned Tasks
- Trouble Concentrating
- Trouble Prioritizing
- Trouble Waiting One's Turn
Examples of Medications for ADHD Symptoms and Signs
- amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, Adderall, Adderall XR
- atomoxetine, Strattera
- dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dextrostat, ProCentra, Zenzedi)
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- Kapvay (clonidine extended-release)
- lisdexamfetamine, Vyvanse
- methylphenidate hydrochloride (Quillivant XR)
- methylphenidate, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Ritalin LA, Concerta, Methylin, Methylin ER
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.