" What are weight loss drugs and how do they work?
Taking a weight loss drug may not result in weight loss by itself. But using diet pills can help an overweight person stay on a diet because nearly all of these medications work on"...
Adipex-P Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Adipex-P, Oby-Cap, Suprenza, T-Diet, Zantryl
Generic Name: phentermine (Pronunciation: FEN ter meen)
- What is phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- What are the possible side effects of phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- What is the most important information I should know about phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- How should I take phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Adipex-P)?
- What happens if I overdose (Adipex-P)?
- What should I avoid while taking phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- What other drugs will affect phentermine (Adipex-P)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is phentermine (Adipex-P)?
Phentermine is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that affects the central nervous system.
Phentermine is used together with diet and exercise to treat obesity (overweight) in people with risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes.
Phentermine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Adipex 37.5 mg
oval, blue/white, imprinted with ADIPEX-P, 9 9
Adipex-P 37.5 mg-TEV
blue/white, capsule, imprinted with ADIPEX-P 37.5
Phentermine 15 mg-EON
capsule, gray, imprinted with E882
Phentermine 30 mg-EON
blue/clear, imprinted with E 5000
Phentermine 30 mg-MUT
capsule, yellow, imprinted with MUTUAL 274
Phentermine 37.5 mg-MUT
oval, white, imprinted with MP 273
Phentermine 37.5 mg-PUR
oblong, white, imprinted with P 316
Phentermine 37.5 mg-QUA
oval, white, imprinted with A 159
capsule, gray/yellow, imprinted with barr 15 mg, 1112
capsule, yellow, imprinted with barr 30 mg, 1113
What are the possible side effects of phentermine (Adipex-P)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
- swelling in your ankles or feet;
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- feeling restless or hyperactive;
- headache, dizziness, tremors;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
- increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Adipex-P (phentermine hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about phentermine (Adipex-P)?
Weight loss during pregnancy can harm an unborn baby, even if you are overweight. Do not use phentermine if you are pregnant.
Do not use phentermine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur, leading to serious side effects.
Taking phentermine together with other diet medications such as fenfluramine (Phen-Fen) or dexfenfluramine (Redux) can cause a rare fatal lung disorder called pulmonary hypertension. Do not take phentermine with any other diet medications without your doctor's advice.
Phentermine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of phentermine.
Phentermine is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Phentermine may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Never share phentermine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep track of the amount of medicine used from each new bottle. Phentermine is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if anyone is using your medicine improperly or without a prescription.
Do not stop using phentermine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using phentermine.
Additional Adipex-P Information
- Adipex-P Drug Interactions Center: phentermine oral
- Adipex-P Side Effects Center
- Adipex-P Overview including Precautions
- Adipex-P FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Adipex-P - User Reviews
Adipex-P User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.