"COPD is a serious lung disease that makes breathing difficult and worsens over time. Symptoms can include wheezing, cough, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. According to the National Heart, "...
Advair Diskus Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Advair Diskus, Advair HFA
Generic Name: fluticasone and salmeterol (Pronunciation: floo TIK a sone, sal ME te rol)
- What is fluticasone and salmeterol inhalation (Advair Diskus)?
- What are the possible side effects of fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- How should I use fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Advair Diskus)?
- What happens if I overdose (Advair Diskus)?
- What should I avoid while using fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- What other drugs will affect fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fluticasone and salmeterol inhalation (Advair Diskus)?
Fluticasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing.
Fluticasone and salmeterol inhalation is used to prevent asthma attacks. It is also used to prevent flare-ups or worsening of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) associated with chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema.
Fluticasone and salmeterol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Advair Diskus 250 mcg-50 mcg
What are the possible side effects of fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- bronchospasm (wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing);
- fast or uneven heart beats, restless feeling, tremor;
- fever, chills, stabbing chest pain, cough with yellow or green mucus;
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips; or
- worsening asthma symptoms.
Less serious side effects include:
- headache, dizziness;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- dry mouth, nose, or throat;
- stuffy nose, sinus pain, cough, sore throat; or
- hoarseness or deepened voice.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Advair Diskus (fluticasone propionate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair Diskus)?
Do not use fluticasone and salmeterol to treat an asthma attack that has already begun.
Salmeterol may increase the risk of asthma-related death. Use only the prescribed dose of fluticasone and salmeterol, and do not use it for longer than your doctor recommends. Follow all patient instructions for safe use. Talk with your doctor about your individual risks and benefits of using this medication.
Before using fluticasone and salmeterol, tell your doctor if you have a food or drug allergy, heart disease, high blood pressure, a seizure disorder, an infection, a weak immune system, diabetes, glaucoma, tuberculosis, osteoporosis, a thyroid disorder, or liver disease.
Seek medical attention if you think any of your asthma medications are not working as well as usual. An increased need for medication could be an early sign of a serious asthma attack. If you use a peak flow meter at home, call your doctor if your numbers are lower than normal.
Additional Advair Diskus Information
- Advair Diskus Drug Interactions Center: fluticasone-salmeterol inhl
- Advair Diskus Side Effects Center
- Advair Diskus Overview including Precautions
- Advair Diskus FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Advair Diskus - User Reviews
Advair Diskus User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.