"Did you know that beta thalassemia major, the most severe form of thalassemia, affects about 1,000 people in the United States? By staying committed to long-term treatment, people with thalassemia can enjoy a full life.
Thalassemia is a g"...
Agrylin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Agrylin
Generic Name: anagrelide (Pronunciation: an AH gre lide)
- What is anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- What are the possible side effects of anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- How should I take anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Agrylin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Agrylin)?
- What should I avoid while taking anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- What other drugs will affect anagrelide (Agrylin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is anagrelide (Agrylin)?
Anagrelide lowers the number of blood clotting cells (platelets) in the body, which helps prevent blood clots from forming.
Anagrelide is used to treat a condition called thrombocythemia (also called thrombocytosis). Thrombocythemia is a blood cell disorder in which too many platelet cells are produced, causing bleeding or blood-clotting problems.
Anagrelide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Anagrelide 0.5 mg-BAR
capsule, white, imprinted with barr 0.5 mg, 101
Anagrelide 0.5 mg-IVA
capsule, gray/white, imprinted with LOGO 5241, 0.5 mg
Anagrelide 0.5 mg-MYL
capsule, gray/orange, imprinted with MYLAN 6868
Anagrelide 1 mg-BAR
capsule, gray, imprinted with barr 1 mg, 102
Anagrelide 1 mg-IVA
capsule, white, imprinted with LOGO 5240, 1 mg
Anagrelide 1 mg-MYL
capsule, blue/gray, imprinted with MYLAN 6869
What are the possible side effects of anagrelide (Agrylin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden chest pain or discomfort, rapid breathing, wheezing, dry cough or hack;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath (even with mild exertion);
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms; or
- blood in your urine, painful or difficult urination.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, mild headache;
- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite;
- diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, gas, upset stomach;
- mild rash or itching;
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat;
- numbness or tingly feeling
- back pain; or
- vision problems, ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Agrylin (anagrelide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about anagrelide (Agrylin)?
You should not use anagrelide if you are allergic to it, or if you have moderate to severe liver disease.
Before you take anagrelide, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition and not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested often. Your kidney and liver function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly. Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are taking anagrelide, especially if you need to have any type of surgery.
Do not stop taking this medication without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly can make your condition worse very quickly.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as dry cough, trouble breathing, swelling, fast or pounding heartbeats, chest pain, sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, problems with speech or balance, severe stomach pain, seizure, fainting, blood in your urine or stools, easy bruising or bleeding, or unusual weakness.
Additional Agrylin Information
- Agrylin Drug Interactions Center: anagrelide oral
- Agrylin Side Effects Center
- Agrylin Overview including Precautions
- Agrylin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Agrylin - User Reviews
Agrylin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.