"Nov. 13, 2012 -- Transcendental Meditation is good for the heart, according to a new study.
The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health. It found that African-Americans with heart disease who regularly practiced TM reduc"...
Aldactazide Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Aldactazide
Generic Name: hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Pronunciation: HYE dro KLOR oh THY a zide and spir ON oh LAK tone)
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Aldactazide)?
- What happens if I overdose (Aldactazide)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.
Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic that also prevents your body from absorbing too much salt and keeps your potassium levels from getting too low.
The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone is used to treat fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, or a kidney disorder called nephrotic syndrome. This medication also treats high blood pressure (hypertension).
Hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Aldactazide 25-25 mg
round, tan, imprinted with ALDACTAZIDE 25, SEARLE 1011
Aldactazide 50-50 mg
oblong, tan, imprinted with ALDACTAZIDE 50, SEARLE 1021
HCTZ-Spironolactone 25 mg-25 mg-GRE
round, beige, imprinted with 5014, G
HCTZ-Spironolactone 25 mg-25 mg-MYL
round, peach, imprinted with M 41
round, beige, imprinted with MP 40
What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- eye pain, vision problems;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- muscle pain or weakness;
- slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat;
- feeling drowsy, restless, or light-headed;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- shallow breathing;
- tremors, confusion;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea or vomiting;
- dizziness, headache;
- gas, stomach pain; or
- skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Aldactazide (spironolactone and hydrochlorothiazide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone (Aldactazide)?
You should not use this medication if you have kidney disease, urination problems, or high levels of potassium in your blood. Do not use potassium supplements while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have heart or liver disease, glaucoma, diabetes, a breathing disorder, gout, lupus, a pancreas disorder, an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin. Tell your doctor if you use a steroid or another blood pressure medicine.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone.
Avoid a diet high in salt. Too much salt will cause your body to retain water and can make this medication less effective.
Do not use salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium. These products could cause your potassium levels to get too high while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Additional Aldactazide Information
Aldactazide - User Reviews
Aldactazide User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.