- What other names is Alder Buckthorn known by?
- What is Alder Buckthorn?
- How does Alder Buckthorn work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Alder Buckthorn.
Alder buckthorn is used as a laxative, as a tonic, and as an ingredient in the Hoxsey cancer formula.
Possibly Effective for...
- Constipation. Alder buckthorn is known to contain certain chemicals that work as laxatives. Alder buckthorn seems to work about as well as cascara for relieving constipation.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.