"Dec. 14, 2012 -- Drinking a glass of beet juice may have an immediate impact on lowering blood pressure, according to a new study.
The study shows that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure (the top n"...
Altace Capsules Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- How should I take ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Altace Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Altace Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to ramipril or to any other ACE inhibitor, such as benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), fosinopril (Monopril), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), or trandolapril (Mavik).
To make sure you can safely take ramipril, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- liver disease;
- a connective tissue disease such as Marfan syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, scleroderma, or rheumatoid arthritis;
- if you are also taking telmisartan (Micardis); or
- if you have ever had a severe allergic reaction.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use ramipril if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Ramipril can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester. Use effective birth control while taking ramipril.
Ramipril can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while taking ramipril.
How should I take ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
Ramipril can be taken with or without food.
Swallow the ramipril tablet whole.
You may open the ramipril capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a half-cup (4 ounces) of water, apple juice, or applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow without chewing. You may store the mixture for up to 24 hours at room temperature, or up to 48 hours in a refrigerator.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, dehydration, a low salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Your kidney or liver function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using ramipril. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Altace Capsules Information
Altace Capsules - User Reviews
Altace Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.