"Dec. 18, 2012 -- People who can't get their high blood pressure down with drugs may be helped by a new procedure that deactivates overactive nerves in the kidneys, a small study shows.
The procedure is already available in Europe and "...
Altace Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Altace
Generic Name: ramipril (Pronunciation: RAM i pril)
- What is ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- How should I take ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Altace Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Altace Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
Ramipril is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.
Ramipril is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or congestive heart failure, and to improve survival after a heart attack.
Ramipril may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Altace 1.25 mg
yellow, imprinted with ALTACE 1.25 mg, MP
Altace 10 mg
blue, imprinted with ALTACE 10 MG, HOECHST
Altace 2.5 mg
orange, imprinted with ALTACE 2.5 mg, MP
Altace 5 mg
red, imprinted with ALTACE 5 mg
Ramipril 1.25 mg-APO
white/yellow, imprinted with APO, 1.25
Ramipril 1.25 mg-COB
white/yellow, imprinted with LOGO, RP 1.25
Ramipril 1.25 mg-ROX
yellow, imprinted with 54 328
Ramipril 10 mg-APO
blue/white, imprinted with APO, 10
Ramipril 10 mg-COB
blue/white, imprinted with LOGO, RP 10
Ramipril 10 mg-ROX
blue, imprinted with 54 602
Ramipril 10 mg-TEV
blue, imprinted with 93 7438
Ramipril 2.5 mg-APO
red/white, imprinted with APO, 2.5
Ramipril 2.5 mg-COB
orange/white, imprinted with LOGO, RP 2.5
Ramipril 2.5 mg-ROX
orange, imprinted with 54 794
Ramipril 2.5 mg-TEV
yellow, imprinted with 93 7436
Ramipril 5 mg-APO
red/white, imprinted with APO, 5
Ramipril 5 mg-COB
red/white, imprinted with LOGO, RP 5
Ramipril 5 mg-ROX
orange, imprinted with 54 145
Ramipril 5 mg-TEV
pink, imprinted with 93 7437
What are the possible side effects of ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking ramipril and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- high potassium level (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling;
- dry mouth, thirst, confusion, swelling, and urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pale skin, dark colored urine, easy bruising or bleeding;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat.
Less serious side effects may include:
- tired feeling, headache;
- dizziness, spinning sensation; or
- nausea, vomiting.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Altace Capsules (ramipril capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ramipril (Altace Capsules)?
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can further lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of ramipril.
Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking ramipril, unless your doctor has told you to.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, dehydration, a low salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Your kidney or liver function may also need to be tested. Visit your doctor regularly.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using ramipril. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.
Additional Altace Capsules Information
Altace Capsules - User Reviews
Altace Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.