"Nov. 7, 2012 -- Drinking black tea may help protect against type 2 diabetes, but more study is needed to confirm an association.
When researchers analyzed data from 50 countries, they found that the rate of diabetes was lowest in coun"...
Amaryl Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Amaryl
Generic Name: glimepiride (Pronunciation: glye MEP ir ide)
- What is glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- What are the possible side effects of glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- What is the most important information I should know about glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- How should I take glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Amaryl)?
- What happens if I overdose (Amaryl)?
- What should I avoid while taking glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- What other drugs will affect glimepiride (Amaryl)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is glimepiride (Amaryl)?
Glimepiride is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your body respond better to insulin produced by your pancreas.
Glimepiride is used together with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes. Insulin or other diabetes medicines are sometimes used in combination with glimepiride if needed.
Glimepiride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Amaryl 1 mg
peanut, pink, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Amaryl 2 mg
peanut, green, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Amaryl 4 mg
peanut, blue, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Glimepiride 1 mg-MYL
oval, white, imprinted with MYLAN, G 11
Glimepiride 1 mg-PER
round, pink, imprinted with 203, I G
Glimepiride 1 mg-RED
oval, peach, imprinted with 3 20, RDY
Glimepiride 1 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 9 3, 72 54
Glimepiride 2 mg-MYL
oval, green, imprinted with MYLAN, G 12
Glimepiride 2 mg-PER
round, green, imprinted with 204, IG
Glimepiride 2 mg-RED
oval, green, imprinted with 321, RDY
Glimepiride 2 mg-TEV
round, green, imprinted with 9 3, 72 55
Glimepiride 4 mg-MYL
oval, peach, imprinted with MYLAN, G 13
Glimepiride 4 mg-PER
round, blue, imprinted with 205, IG
Glimepiride 4 mg-RED
oval, blue, imprinted with 3 22, RDY
Glimepiride 4 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 9 3, 72 56
What are the possible side effects of glimepiride (Amaryl)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe skin rash, itching, redness, or irritation;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, unusual weakness;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- trouble breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- dark urine, clay-colored stools;
- upper stomach pain, low fever, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, feeling restless or irritable, confusion, hallucinations, muscle pain or weakness, and/or seizure.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, headache, tired feeling;
- mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea;
- increased skin sensitivity to sunlight; or
- mild itching or skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Amaryl (glimepiride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about glimepiride (Amaryl)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to glimepiride, or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin).
Before taking glimepiride, tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, or if you have heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, an enzyme deficiency (G6PD), adrenal or pituitary gland problems, or if you are under-nourished.
Take care not to let your blood sugar get too low. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur if you skip a meal, exercise too long, drink alcohol, or are under stress. Symptoms include headache, hunger, weakness, sweating, tremor, irritability, or trouble concentrating. Carry hard candy or glucose tablets with you in case you have low blood sugar. Other sugar sources include orange juice and milk. Be sure your family and close friends know how to help you in an emergency.
Glimepiride is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely. Changing any of these factors can affect your blood sugar levels.
Additional Amaryl Information
- Amaryl Drug Interactions Center: glimepiride oral
- Amaryl Side Effects Center
- Amaryl Overview including Precautions
- Amaryl FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Amaryl - User Reviews
Amaryl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.