"Despite the unanimous backing of a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committee back in May, Novo Nordisk has announced there is to be a 3-month delay on a decision regarding US approval of its new injectable product, IDegLira, "...
Amaryl Tablets Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Amaryl
Generic Name: glimepiride (Pronunciation: glye MEP ir ide)
- What is glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What are the possible side effects of glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What is the most important information I should know about glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- How should I take glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What happens if I overdose (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What should I avoid while taking glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- What other drugs will affect glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
Glimepiride is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication helps your body respond better to insulin produced by your pancreas.
Glimepiride is used together with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes. Insulin or other diabetes medicines are sometimes used in combination with glimepiride if needed.
Glimepiride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Amaryl 1 mg
peanut, pink, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Amaryl 2 mg
peanut, green, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Amaryl 4 mg
peanut, blue, imprinted with AMA RYL, LOGO
Glimepiride 1 mg-MYL
oval, white, imprinted with MYLAN, G 11
Glimepiride 1 mg-PER
round, pink, imprinted with 203, I G
Glimepiride 1 mg-RED
oval, peach, imprinted with 3 20, RDY
Glimepiride 1 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 9 3, 72 54
Glimepiride 2 mg-MYL
oval, green, imprinted with MYLAN, G 12
Glimepiride 2 mg-PER
round, green, imprinted with 204, IG
Glimepiride 2 mg-RED
oval, green, imprinted with 321, RDY
Glimepiride 2 mg-TEV
round, green, imprinted with 9 3, 72 55
Glimepiride 4 mg-MYL
oval, peach, imprinted with MYLAN, G 13
Glimepiride 4 mg-PER
round, blue, imprinted with 205, IG
Glimepiride 4 mg-RED
oval, blue, imprinted with 3 22, RDY
Glimepiride 4 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 9 3, 72 56
What are the possible side effects of glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe skin rash, itching, redness, or irritation;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, unusual weakness;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- trouble breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- dark urine, clay-colored stools;
- upper stomach pain, low fever, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, feeling restless or irritable, confusion, hallucinations, muscle pain or weakness, and/or seizure.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, headache, tired feeling;
- mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea;
- increased skin sensitivity to sunlight; or
- mild itching or skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Amaryl Tablets (glimepiride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about glimepiride (Amaryl Tablets)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to glimepiride, or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin).
Before taking glimepiride, tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, or if you have heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, an enzyme deficiency (G6PD), adrenal or pituitary gland problems, or if you are under-nourished.
Take care not to let your blood sugar get too low. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur if you skip a meal, exercise too long, drink alcohol, or are under stress. Symptoms include headache, hunger, weakness, sweating, tremor, irritability, or trouble concentrating. Carry hard candy or glucose tablets with you in case you have low blood sugar. Other sugar sources include orange juice and milk. Be sure your family and close friends know how to help you in an emergency.
Glimepiride is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely. Changing any of these factors can affect your blood sugar levels.
Additional Amaryl Tablets Information
- Amaryl Tablets Drug Interactions Center: glimepiride oral
- Amaryl Tablets Side Effects Center
- Amaryl Tablets Overview including Precautions
- Amaryl Tablets FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Amaryl - User Reviews
Amaryl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.