In this Article
- What other names is American Chestnut known by?
- What is American Chestnut?
- How does American Chestnut work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for American Chestnut.
Medications taken by mouth (Oral drugs)
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
American chestnut contains a large amount of chemicals called tannins. Tannins absorb substances in the stomach and intestines. Taking American chestnut along with medications taken by mouth can decrease how much medicine your body absorbs, and decrease the effectiveness of your medicine. To prevent this interaction, take American chestnut at least 1 hour after medications you take by mouth.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.