- What other names is American Chestnut known by?
- What is American Chestnut?
- How does American Chestnut work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for American Chestnut.
People take American chestnut as a tea for cough, breathing problems, arthritis-like pain (rheumatism), and swelling. They also take it for its calming effects (as a sedative).
Some people gargle with American chestnut for sore throat.
In foods, an extract of American chestnut is used in beverages.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Arthritis-like pain (rheumatism).
- Promoting calmness.
- Sore throat, when used as a gargle.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.