"Oct. 31, 2012 -- Two new trials offer proof that a leukemia drug long used to treat multiple sclerosis works better than a common treatment.
When compared with the widely used drug interferon beta, the leukemia drug alemtuzumab reduce"...
- Clinician Information:
Ampyra Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What are the possible side effects of dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- How should I take dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ampyra)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ampyra)?
- What should I avoid while taking dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What other drugs will affect dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
You should not use dalfampridine if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- moderate to severe kidney disease;
- if you have ever had a seizure (convulsions); or
- if you are also taking another MS drug called Fampridine (4-aminopyridine).
If you have mild kidney disease, you may need a dalfampridine dose adjustment or special tests.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether dalfampridine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication..
It is not known whether dalfampridine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are taking dalfampridine.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old without the advice of a doctor.
How should I take dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Dalfampridine is usually taken once every 12 hours. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Do not take more than 2 tablets in a 24-hour period.
Dalfampridine may be taken with or without food.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole. Do not dissolve the tablet in liquid. Breaking or dissolving the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
Do not use a dalfampridine tablet that has been accidentally crushed or broken. This can increase your risk of having a seizure.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Throw away any leftover medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed.
Additional Ampyra Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.