"Nov. 16, 2012 -- Air pollution may be bad for older brains, a new study shows.
Older adults who live in areas of high pollution did not do as well on tests of memory and other thinking skills, according to a new study.
Ampyra Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ampyra
Generic Name: dalfampridine (Pronunciation: dal FAM pri deen)
- What is dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What are the possible side effects of dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- How should I take dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ampyra)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ampyra)?
- What should I avoid while taking dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- What other drugs will affect dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
Dalfampridine is a potassium channel blocker.
Dalfampridine is used to improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).
Dalfampridine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking dalfampridine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- seizure (convulsions);
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- problems with balance;
- numbness, burning pain, or tingly feeling;
- relapse or worsening of MS symptoms;
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- nausea, constipation, upset stomach;
- back pain;
- stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat; or
- mild skin itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ampyra (dalfampridine extended-release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dalfampridine (Ampyra)?
You should not use dalfampridine if you are allergic to it, or if you have moderate to severe kidney disease, if you have ever had a seizure (convulsions), or if you are also taking another multiple sclerosis drug called Fampridine.
If you have mild kidney disease, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests.
Do not take more than 2 tablets in a 24-hour period. Do not use a tablet that has been broken or crushed. A broken tablet can release too much of the drug at one time. This can increase your risk of having a seizure.
Stop taking dalfampridine and call your doctor at once if you a seizure, pain or burning when you urinate, problems with your balance, numbness or tingly feeling, or a relapse of your MS symptoms.
Additional Ampyra Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.