Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Anal itching is due to irritation of the skin around the anus accompanied by a desire to scratch. The intensity of itching increases with moisture, pressure, and sitting. At its most intense, anal itching causes intolerable discomfort described as burning and soreness. Scratching only makes the discomfort worse. Treatment of anal itching is to shower gently without directly rubbing or irritating the skin and to clean and pat dry the anus thoroughly. Use of moist pads rather than toilet paper after bowel movements can be helpful. Local application of cortisone cream may also reduce inflammation and itching, though prolonged use of cortisone may be damaging to the skin. If anal itching is prolonged, a physician should be consulted and a search made for the cause.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Anal Itching
In This ArticleAnal Fissure Article
- What are anal fissures?
- What causes anal fissures?
- What are the symptoms of anal fissures?
- How are anal fissures diagnosed and evaluated?
- How are anal fissures treated?
- Anal Fissures At A Glance
In This ArticleDiaper Rash Article
- Diaper rash facts
- What is diaper rash?
- Is diaper rash a sign of neglectful care?
- What causes diaper rash?
- What treatments are recommended for diaper rash?
- How about not using disposable diapers?
- How should an allergic rash be treated?
- How about using cortisone cream?
- How about using Neosporin?
In This ArticleHemorrhoids Article
- Definition of hemorrhoid
- What causes hemorrhoids?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a hemorrhoid?
- What does a hemorrhoid look like?
- How is the diagnosis of hemorrhoids made?
- How are hemorrhoids treated?
- OTC medications and home remedies for hemorrhoids
- Non-surgical approaches
- Hemorrhoid surgery
- What is the prognosis for hemorrhoids?
In This ArticleLichen Planus Article
- Lichen planus facts
- What is lichen planus?
- What causes lichen planus?
- How is the rash of lichen planus different from that of most other common rashes?
- What are the symptoms and signs of lichen planus?
- What does lichen planus look like?
- How is lichen planus diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for lichen planus?
- What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?
In This ArticlePinworms Article
- Pinworms facts
- What is pinworm infection?
- Who is at risk for getting pinworms?
- Pinworms in children
- Pinworms in adults
- What do pinworms look like (pinworm pictures)?
- What is the lifecycle of pinworms?
- How is pinworm infection spread?
- What are the symptoms of pinworms?
- How is pinworm infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of pinworms; is there a home treatment?
- What are the consequences of untreated pinworm infections?
- How are pinworm infections prevented?
In This ArticlePubic Lice (Crabs) Article
- What are pubic lice?
- What do pubic lice look like?
- Where are pubic lice found?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pubic lice?
- How did I get pubic lice?
- How is a pubic lice infestation diagnosed?
- How are pubic lice treated?
In This ArticleSkin Tag Article
- Skin tag facts
- What is a skin tag?
- Where do skin tags occur?
- Who tends to get skin tags?
- Will removing a skin tag cause more to grow?
- Is a skin tag a tumor?
- Are skin tags contagious?
- What does a skin tag look like under a microscope?
- What problems do skin tags cause?
- How are skin tags treated?
- Does medical insurance cover skin tag removal?
- Do any creams remove skin tags?
- Should I worry about cutting my skin tag by shaving?
- Do skin tags need to be sent for biopsy?
- Are there vaginal skin tags?
- Can you get skin tags on the penis and scrotum?
- What happens when a skin tag suddenly turns purple or black?
- What else could it be?
- Is there another medical name for a skin tag?
In This ArticleSTDs in Men Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs?
- List of STDs in men
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts (HPV)
- How are STDs diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs?
- What is the prognosis for STDs?
- Can STDs be prevented?
In This ArticleYeast Infection (in Women and Men) Article
- Vaginal yeast infection facts
- What is a vaginal yeast infection?
- What causes a vaginal yeast infection?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
- How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- What over-the-counter medications are available to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- When are prescription medications used for a vaginal yeast infection?
- Can a man get a yeast infection from his sexual partner?
- What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in men?
- What is the treatment for yeast infection in men?
- How can vaginal yeast infections be prevented?
- How can a man protect himself from contracting a yeast infection from his partner?
Other Causes of Anal Itching
- Anal Papillae (Abnormal Local Growth of Anal Skin)
- Spicy Foods (Salsas, Peppers, Etc.)
- Yeast Infection (Candida) in the Crease of the Buttocks
Examples of Medications for Anal Itching
Get the latest treatment options.