Anal Itching Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Anal itching is due to irritation of the skin around the anus accompanied by a desire to scratch. The intensity of itching increases with moisture, pressure, and sitting. At its most intense, anal itching causes intolerable discomfort described as burning and soreness. Scratching only makes the discomfort worse. Treatment of anal itching is to shower gently without directly rubbing or irritating the skin and to clean and pat dry the anus thoroughly. Use of moist pads rather than toilet paper after bowel movements can be helpful. Local application of cortisone cream may also reduce inflammation and itching, though prolonged use of cortisone may be damaging to the skin. If anal itching is prolonged, a physician should be consulted and a search made for the cause.
Causes of anal itching include, but are not limited to, insufficient cleaning, ingesting spicy foods, diarrhea, anal tear, fungal infection, hemorrhoids, pinworms, anal abrasion, anal leakage, incontinence, and weeping.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Main Article on Anal Itching
Causes of Anal Itching
In This ArticleAnal Cancer Article
- Anal cancer facts*
- Anal anatomy
- What is anal cancer?
- What are anal cancer statistics?
- What are the risk factors for anal cancer?
- What are the symptoms and signs of anal cancer?
- What are the different types of anal cancer?
- Anal cancer screening and early detection
- How is anal cancer diagnosed?
- Anal cancer staging
- What types of doctors treat anal cancer?
- What is the treatment for anal cancer?
- Radiation therapy
- Combination chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- How is stage IV anal cancer or metastasis treated?
- Can anal cancer be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for anal cancer?
- Where can one find information about clinical trials for anal cancer?
In This ArticleAnal Fissure Article
- Anal fissures facts
- What are anal fissures?
- What causes anal fissures?
- What are the symptoms of anal fissures?
- How are anal fissures diagnosed and evaluated?
- What is the treatment for anal fissures?
- General treatment and home remedies for anal fissures
- Prescription medications for anal fissures
- Surgical treatment for anal fissures
- Personal observation
In This ArticleDiaper Rash Article
- Diaper rash facts
- What is diaper rash?
- Is diaper rash a sign of neglectful care?
- What causes diaper rash?
- What treatments are recommended for diaper rash?
- How about not using disposable diapers?
- How should an allergic rash be treated?
- How about using cortisone cream?
- How about using Neosporin?
In This ArticleHemorrhoids Article
- What is the definition of a hemorrhoid?
- What causes hemorrhoids?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a hemorrhoid?
- What does a hemorrhoid look like?
- How is the diagnosis of hemorrhoids made?
- How are hemorrhoids treated?
- OTC medications and home remedies for hemorrhoids
- Non-surgical approaches
- Hemorrhoid surgery
- What is the prognosis for hemorrhoids?
In This ArticleLichen Planus Article
- Lichen planus facts
- What is lichen planus?
- What causes lichen planus?
- How is the rash of lichen planus different from that of most other common rashes?
- What are lichen planus symptoms and signs?
- What does lichen planus look like?
- How is lichen planus diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies for lichen planus?
- What is the treatment for lichen planus?
- What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?
In This ArticlePinworms Article
- Pinworms facts
- What is pinworm infection in humans?
- Who is at risk for getting pinworms?
- Pinworms in children
- Pinworms in adults
- What do pinworms look like (pinworm pictures)?
- How is pinworm infection spread?
- What are the symptoms of pinworms?
- How is pinworm infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of pinworms, and is there a home treatment?
- What are the consequences of untreated pinworms?
- How are pinworms prevented?
In This ArticlePsoriasis Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What are psoriasis causes and risk factors?
- What are the different types of psoriasis?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- What are psoriasis symptoms and signs? What does psoriasis look like?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose psoriasis?
- Eczema vs. psoriasis
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Is there a cure for psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis hereditary?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- Are psoriasis shampoos available?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- Is there a psoriasis diet?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- What is the long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
- Is it possible to prevent psoriasis?
- What does the future hold for psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- Where can people get more information on psoriasis?
In This ArticlePubic Lice (Crabs) Article
- What are pubic lice?
- What do pubic lice look like?
- Where are pubic lice found?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pubic lice?
- How did I get pubic lice?
- How is a pubic lice infestation diagnosed?
- How are pubic lice treated?
In This ArticleSTDs in Men Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs in men?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs in men?
- List of STDs in men
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts (HPV)
- How are STDs in men diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs in men?
- What is the prognosis for STDs in men?
- Can STDs in men be prevented?
Other Causes of Anal Itching
- Anal Papillae (Abnormal Local Growth of Anal Skin)
- Spicy Foods (Salsas, Peppers, Etc.)
- Yeast Infection (Candida) in the Crease of the Buttocks
Examples of Medications for Anal Itching
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get the latest treatment options.