"A large-scale genomic analysis found that non-inherited mutations in hundreds of genes together account for about 1 in 10 cases of severe congenital heart defects. The findings bring us closer to understanding the most common type of birth defect"...
Ancobon Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ancobon
Generic Name: flucytosine (Pronunciation: floo SYE toe seen)
- What is flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- What are the possible side effects of flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- What is the most important information I should know about flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- How should I take flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ancobon)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ancobon)?
- What should I avoid while taking flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- What other drugs will affect flucytosine (Ancobon)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is flucytosine (Ancobon)?
Flucytosine is an antifungal medication. It is like an antibiotic but is used to treat fungal infections.
Flucytosine is used to treat serious fungal infections of the blood, lungs, heart, central nervous system, and urinary tract.
Flucytosine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of flucytosine (Ancobon)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking flucytosine and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- chest pain;
- yellowing of the skin or eyes;
- little or no urine;
- confusion or hallucinations;
- numbness or tingling; or
- hearing loss.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take flucytosine and talk to your doctor if you experience
- nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, or diarrhea;
- a dry mouth;
- sedation; or
- weakness or poor coordination.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ancobon (flucytosine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about flucytosine (Ancobon)?
Take all of the flucytosine that has been prescribed for you even if you begin to feel better. Your symptoms may begin to improve before the infection is completely treated.
Flucytosine may cause nausea and vomiting. You can reduce this side effect by taking the capsules a few at a time over a 15-minute period.
Additional Ancobon Information
- Ancobon Drug Interactions Center: flucytosine oral
- Ancobon Side Effects Center
- Ancobon Overview including Precautions
- Ancobon FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Ancobon - User Reviews
Ancobon User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.