- What other names is Androstenedione known by?
- What is Androstenedione?
- How does Androstenedione work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Androstenedione.
Androstenedione is used to increase the production of the hormone testosterone to enhance athletic performance, increase energy, keep red blood cells healthy, enhance recovery and growth from exercise, and increase sexual desire and performance.
Androstenedione gained popularity as the supplement used by the baseball homerun hitter Mark McGwire and other professional sports players. In January 2005 legislation went into effect in the United States called the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004. This reclassifies androstenedione from a dietary supplement to an anabolic steroid, which is a schedule III controlled substance.
Androstenedione is considered a banned substance by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Likely Ineffective for...
- Enhancing athletic performance. Taking androstenedione by mouth in doses of 100-300 mg per day does not significantly increase muscle strength, muscle size, or lean body mass when used for 2-3 months in connection with weight training.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Increasing energy.
- Red blood cell health.
- Increasing sexual desire and function.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.