In this Article
- Anencephaly facts*
- What is anencephaly?
- What are the causes, signs, and symptoms of anencephaly?
- How common is anencephaly?
- What genes are related to anencephaly?
- How do people inherit anencephaly?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
How do people inherit anencephaly?
Most cases of anencephaly are sporadic, which means they occur in people with no history of the disorder in their family. A small percentage of cases have been reported to run in families; however, the condition does not have a clear pattern of inheritance. For parents who have had a child with anencephaly, the risk of having another affected child is increased compared to the risk in the general population.
"Anencephaly." NIH Genetics Home Reference. 23 Oct. 2012.
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.