(flurbiprofen) Tablets, USP 50 mg and 100 mg
- NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk (see WARNINGS).
- ANSAID® (flurbiprofen) is contraindicated for treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
- NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events (see WARNINGS).
ANSAID Tablets contain flurbiprofen, which is a member of the phenylalkanoic acid derivative group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. ANSAID (flurbiprofen) Tablets are white, oval, film-coated tablets for oral administration. Flurbiprofen is a racemic mixture of (+)S- and (-)R- enantiomers. Flurbiprofen is a white or slightly yellow crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in water at pH 7.0 and readily soluble in most polar solvents. The chemical name is [1,1'-biphenyl]-4-acetic acid, 2-fluoro-alphamethyl-, (±)-. The molecular weight is 244.26. Its molecular formula is C15H13FO2 and it has the following structural formula:
The inactive ingredients in ANSAID (flurbiprofen) (both strengths) include carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, propylene glycol, and titanium dioxide. In addition, the 100 mg tablet contains FD&C Blue No. 2.
What are the possible side effects of flurbiprofen (Ansaid)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking flurbiprofen and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pain, burning, or bleeding when you...
What are the precautions when taking flurbiprofen (Ansaid)?
Before taking flurbiprofen, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to aspirin or other NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: aspirin-sensitive asthma (a history of worsening breathing with runny/stuffy nose after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs), recent heart bypass surgery (CABG).
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: liver disease, poorly controlled diabetes,...
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/10/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Ansaid Information
Ansaid - User Reviews
Ansaid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options