"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Kynamro (mipomersen sodium) injection as an addition to lipid-lowering medications and diet to treat patients with a rare type of high cholesterol called homozygous familial hypercholesterolemi"...
Patients should be advised:
- of the potential benefits and risks of Antara.
- not to use Antara if there is a known hypersensitivity to fenofibrate or fenofibric acid.
- that if they are taking coumarin anticoagulants, Antara may increase their anticoagulant effect, and increased monitoring may be necessary.
- of medications that should not be taken in combination with Antara.
- to continue to follow an appropriate lipid-modifying diet while taking Antara.
- to take Antara once daily, without regard to food, at the prescribed dose, swallowing each capsule whole.
- to inform their physician of all medications, supplements, and herbal preparations they are taking and any change to their medical condition. Patients should also be advised to inform their physicians prescribing a new medication that they are taking Antara.
- to inform their physician of any muscle pain, tenderness or weakness; onset of abdominal pain; or any other new symptoms.
- to return to their physician's office for routine monitoring.
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/10/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Antara Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.