"Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze... especially when combining grapefruit with medicines.
While it can be part of a balanced and nutritious diet, grapefruit can have serious consequences when taken with certain medications. Cu"...
Antizol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Antizol
Generic Name: fomepizole (Pronunciation: foe MEP i zole)
- What is fomepizole (Antizol)?
- What are the possible side effects of fomepizole (Antizol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fomepizole (Antizol)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving fomepizole (Antizol)?
- How is fomepizole given (Antizol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Antizol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Antizol)?
- What should I avoid while receiving fomepizole (Antizol)?
- What other drugs will affect fomepizole (Antizol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fomepizole (Antizol)?
Fomepizole is an antidote to certain types of poison.
Fomepizole is used to treat poisoning with ethylene glycol (antifreeze) or methanol (contained in solvents, fuels, and other household or automotive chemicals). Fomepizole is sometimes used together with hemodialysis to rid the body of a poison.
Fomepizole may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of fomepizole (Antizol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have any of these serious side effects (some are effects of the poison and not of fomepizole):
- burning, swelling, or skin changes where the medicine was injected;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- fast or slow heart rate, feeling like you may pass out; or
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild skin rash;
- heartburn, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- loss of appetite;
- dizziness, drowsiness, anxiety, or headache;
- metallic taste in your mouth;
- hangover feeling;
- back pain;
- sore throat;
- ringing in your ears; or
- changes in vision, changes in smell or taste senses.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Antizol (fomepizole) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fomepizole (Antizol)?
In a poisoning situation, it may not be possible to tell your caregivers that you are pregnant or breast-feeding before you are treated with fomepizole. However, make sure any doctor caring for your pregnancy or your baby knows that you have received the medication.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have any burning, swelling, or skin changes where the medicine was injected.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood and urine will need to be tested often. This will help your doctor determine how long to treat you with fomepizole. You will also be watched for any effects of the poisoning, such as problems with vision, breathing, or urination.
Additional Antizol Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.