In this Article
- What other names is Areca known by?
- What is Areca?
- How does Areca work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Areca.
Chewing the areca nut can make your mouth, lips, and stool turn red. It can cause stimulant effects similar to caffeine and tobacco use. It can also cause more severe effects including vomiting, diarrhea, problems with the gums in the mouth, increased saliva, coma, and death.
Do not take areca if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have asthma.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.