In this Article
- What other names is Betel Nut known by?
- What is Betel Nut?
- How does Betel Nut work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Betel Nut.
Chewing the areca nut can make your mouth, lips, and stool turn red. It can cause stimulant effects similar to caffeine and tobacco use. It can also cause more severe effects including vomiting, diarrhea, problems with the gums in the mouth, increased saliva, coma, and death.
Do not take areca if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have asthma.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.