"March 7, 2013 -- An FDA panel voted to stop recommending calcitonin salmon for the treatment of osteoporosis in women who are at least five years past menopause.
The committee voted 12-9 against continued marketing of the drug, citing"...
Aredia Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Aredia
Generic Name: pamidronate (Pronunciation: PAM i DROE nate)
- What is pamidronate (Aredia)?
- What are the possible side effects of pamidronate (Aredia)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pamidronate (Aredia)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using pamidronate (Aredia)?
- How is pamidronate given (Aredia)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Aredia)?
- What happens if I overdose (Aredia)?
- What should I avoid while using pamidronate (Aredia)?
- What other drugs will affect pamidronate (Aredia)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pamidronate (Aredia)?
Pamidronate is in a group of medicines called bisphosphonates (bis FOS fo nayts). It alters the cycle of bone formation and breakdown in the body.
Pamidronate is used to treat high levels of calcium in the blood related to cancer (also called hypercalcemia of malignancy). Pamidronate is also used to treat Paget's disease of bone.
Pamidronate is used to treat bone damage caused by certain types of cancer such as breast cancer or bone marrow cancer. Pamidronate does not treat cancer. Use all other medications your doctor has prescribed for those conditions.
Pamidronate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of pamidronate (Aredia)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- high fever;
- severe joint, bone, or muscle pain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- seizure (convulsions);
- eye pain, vision changes;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating; or
- confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling, or jerking muscle movements.
Less serious side effects may include:
- low fever;
- stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting;
- constipation; or
- pain, redness, swelling or a hard painful lump under your skin around the IV needle.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Aredia (pamidronate disodium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pamidronate (Aredia)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to pamidronate or to other bisphosphonates such as alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel), ibandronate (Boniva), risedronate (Actonel), tiludronate (Skelid), or zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa).
Before using pamidronate, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, a history of thyroid surgery, or low levels of platelets or red blood cells.
Some people using medicines similar to pamidronate have developed bone loss in the jaw, also called osteonecrosis of the jaw. Symptoms may include jaw pain, swelling, numbness, loose teeth, gum infection, or slow healing after injury or surgery involving the gums. You may be more likely to develop osteonecrosis of the jaw if you have cancer or have been treated with chemotherapy, radiation, or steroids. Other conditions associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw include blood clotting disorders, anemia (low red blood cells), and a pre-existing dental problem.
Pamidronate can harm your kidneys, and this effect is increased when you also use certain other medicines harmful to the kidneys. Before using pamidronate, tell your doctor about all other medications you use. Many other drugs (including some over-the-counter medicines) can be harmful to the kidneys.
Serious side effects of pamidronate include high fever, severe bone pain, severe joint or muscle pain, urinating less than usual or not at all, swelling, rapid weight gain, eye pain, vision changes, confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, muscle weakness or limp feeling, or seizure.
Additional Aredia Information
- Aredia Drug Interactions Center: pamidronate iv
- Aredia Side Effects Center
- Aredia Overview including Precautions
- Aredia FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Aredia - User Reviews
Aredia User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips and advances in treatment.