"Cognitively normal older adults with evidence of early brain changes typical of Alzheimer's disease fell more often than did their peers without these brain changes, a new study reported online in Neurology. The results suggest that decl"...
Aricept Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Aricept, Aricept ODT
Generic Name: donepezil (oral) (Pronunciation: doe NEP e zil)
- What is donepezil (Aricept)?
- What are the possible side effects of donepezil (Aricept)?
- What is the most important information I should know about donepezil (Aricept)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking donepezil (Aricept)?
- How should I take donepezil (Aricept)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Aricept)?
- What happens if I overdose (Aricept)?
- What should I avoid while taking donepezil (Aricept)?
- What other drugs will affect donepezil (Aricept)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is donepezil (Aricept)?
Donepezil improves the function of nerve cells in the brain. It works by preventing the breakdown of a chemical called acetylcholine (ah see til KO leen). People with dementia usually have lower levels of this chemical, which is important for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning.
Donepezil is used to treat mild to moderate dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease.
Donepezil may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Aricept 10 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with ARICEPT, 10
round, white, imprinted with ARICEPT, 5
Donepezil 10 mg Tab-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with TEVA, 739
Donepezil 10 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with b 152
Donepezil 5 mg Tab-TEV
round, white, imprinted with TEVA, 738
Donepezil 5 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with b, 151
What are the possible side effects of donepezil (Aricept)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using donepezil and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds;
- painful or difficult urination;
- seizure (black-out or convulsions);
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- loss of appetite;
- muscle cramps;
- tired feeling; or
- sleep problems (insomnia).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Aricept (donepezil hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about donepezil (Aricept)?
Before taking donepezil, tell your doctor if you have a heart rhythm disorder such as "sick sinus syndrome" (slow heartbeats), an enlarged prostate, urination problems, asthma, obstructive pulmonary disease, or a seizure disorder such as epilepsy.
If you need to have any type of surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are taking donepezil.
Donepezil can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Additional Aricept Information
- Aricept Drug Interactions Center: donepezil oral
- Aricept Side Effects Center
- Aricept Overview including Precautions
- Aricept FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Aricept - User Reviews
Aricept User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.