"On July 1, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Xarelto (rivaroxaban) to reduce the risk of blood clots, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and pulmonary embolism (PE) following knee or hip replacement surgery.
Xarelto is a pill taken on"...
Arixtra Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Arixtra
Generic Name: fondaparinux (Pronunciation: fon DAP a rin ux)
- What is fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- What are the possible side effects of fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- How should I use fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Arixtra)?
- What happens if I overdose (Arixtra)?
- What should I avoid while using fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- What other drugs will affect fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
Fondaparinux is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that prevents the formation of blood clots.
Fondaparinux is used to prevent a type of blood clot called deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can lead to blood clots in the lungs (pulmonary embolism). A DVT can occur after certain types of surgery.
Fondaparinux is also used together with warfarin (Coumadin) to treat DVT, including pulmonary embolism.
Fondaparinux may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using fondaparinux and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), bleeding from wounds or needle injections, any bleeding that will not stop;
- easy bruising, purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- black or bloody stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- numbness, tingling, or muscle weakness (especially in your legs and feet);
- loss of movement in any part of your body;
- sudden weakness, severe headache, confusion, or problems with speech, vision, or balance; or
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, limp feeling).
Less serious side effects may include:
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- mild skin rash;
- dizziness; or
- minor bleeding, rash, or itching where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Arixtra (fondaparinux sodium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fondaparinux (Arixtra)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to fondaparinux, heparin, or pork products, or if you have active bleeding, severe kidney disease, an infection in the lining of your heart, or a low level of platelets in your blood after testing positive for a certain antibody while using fondaparinux.
You should not use fondaparinux to prevent blood clots after surgery if you weigh less than 110 pounds (50 kilograms).
Fondaparinux may cause you to bleed more easily, especially if you have: a bleeding disorder, hemorrhagic stroke, eye problems caused by diabetes, uncontrolled high blood pressure, stomach or intestinal bleeding or ulcer, recent brain or spine surgery, recent eye surgery, or if you are an older adult who has kidney problems.
Many other drugs (including some over-the-counter medicines) can increase your risk of bleeding or life-threatening blood clots, and it is very important to tell your doctor about all medicines you have recently used.
Blood clots around the brain or spinal cord may occur if you use fondaparinux with other drugs that can affect blood clotting, including aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Advil or Motrin, and any other medications to treat or prevent blood clots.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have signs of bleeding such as black or bloody stools, coughing up blood, confusion, feeling like you might pass out, or any bleeding that will not stop.
Additional Arixtra Information
- Arixtra Drug Interactions Center: fondaparinux subq
- Arixtra Side Effects Center
- Arixtra Overview including Precautions
- Arixtra FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Arixtra - User Reviews
Arixtra User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.