"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved an extended-release capsule formulation of carbidopa-levodopa (Rytary, IPX066, Impax Pharmaceuticals) for the treatment of Parkinson's disease (PD), postencephalitic parkinsonism, an"...
Artane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Artane, Trihexane
Generic Name: trihexyphenidyl (Pronunciation: try hex ee FEH nih dill)
- What is trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- What are the possible side effects of trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- How should I take trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Artane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Artane)?
- What should I avoid while taking trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- What other drugs will affect trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
Trihexyphenidyl alters unusual nerve impulses and relaxes stiff muscles.
Trihexyphenidyl is used to treat the stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control of Parkinson's disease. It is also used to treat and prevent the same muscular conditions when they are caused by drugs such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), haloperidol (Haldol), thiothixene (Navane), and others.
Trihexyphenidyl may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
round, white, imprinted with DAN DAN, 5335
Trihexiphenidyl 5 mg-SCH
round, white, imprinted with DAN DAN, 5337
Trihexyphenidyl 2 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5335, DAN DAN
Trihexyphenidyl 5 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5337, DAN DAN
What are the possible side effects of trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking trihexyphenidyl and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- fast or irregular heartbeats;
- anxiety, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, hyperactivity, or loss of consciousness;
- eye pain; or
- a rash.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take trihexyphenidyl and talk to your doctor if you experience
- dryness of the mouth;
- large pupils or blurred vision;
- drowsiness or dizziness;
- difficulty urinating or constipation;
- nervousness or anxiety;
- upset stomach; or
- decreased sweating.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Artane (trihexyphenidyl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about trihexyphenidyl (Artane)?
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Trihexyphenidyl may cause dizziness or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness or blurred vision, avoid these activities.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking trihexyphenidyl.
Avoid becoming overheated. Trihexyphenidyl may cause decreased sweating. This could lead to heat stroke in hot weather or with vigorous exercise.
Additional Artane Information
- Artane Drug Interactions Center: trihexyphenidyl oral
- Artane Side Effects Center
- Artane Overview including Precautions
- Artane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Artane - User Reviews
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.