"March 5, 2013 -- Spring allergy season is again off to an early start in many parts of the country, and doctors say there are some signs it may be even more miserable than usual this year.
Last year was the fourth warmest winter on re"...
Astelin Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- What are the possible side effects of azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- How should I use azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Astelin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Astelin)?
- What should I avoid while taking azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- What other drugs will affect azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to azelastine.
Before using azelastine nasal, tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions or if you take other prescription or over-the-counter medications.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether azelastine nasal is harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether azelastine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use azelastine nasal without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Azelastine nasal should not be given to a child younger than 5 years old.
How should I use azelastine nasal (Astelin)?
Use azelastine exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not use it in larger doses or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
To use the azelastine nasal spray:
- Gently blow your nose before using the nasal spray.
- The first time you use a new bottle, screw the pump device onto the bottle. Prime the unit by pumping 4 sprays into the air, away from your face, until a fine mist appears. Prime the spray pump any time it has been longer than 3 days since you last used it.
- Insert the spray tip into your nostril, pointing it straight up into your nose. Press your other nostril closed with your finger and keep your head upright. Pump the spray and gently inhale at the same time.
- Use only the number of sprays prescribed by your doctor.
- Clean the pump nozzle with a clean, damp tissue and recap it.
Try not to sneeze or blow your nose just after using the spray.
Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Store this medication at room temperature in an upright position, away from moisture and heat. Keep the dust cover on the spray nozzle when not in use.
Additional Astelin Information
- Astelin Drug Interactions Center: azelastine nasl
- Astelin Side Effects Center
- Astelin Overview including Precautions
- Astelin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Astelin - User Reviews
Astelin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.