"April 24, 2014 -- As many as 4 in 10 Americans have sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes due to allergies. If you're one of them, allergy shots can help ease your reaction to the plants, insects, or animals that trigger your symptoms. But they r"...
Astepro Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What are the possible side effects of azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What is the most important information I should know about azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- How should I use azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Astepro)?
- What happens if I overdose (Astepro)?
- What should I avoid while taking azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What other drugs will affect azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to azelastine.
To make sure you can safely take azelastine, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether azelastine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether azelastine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Azelastine nasal should not be given to a child younger than 5 years old.
How should I use azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
To use the azelastine nasal spray:
- The first time you use a new bottle, screw the pump device onto the bottle. Prime the unit by pumping 4 sprays into the air, away from your face, until a fine mist appears. Prime the spray pump any time it has been longer than 3 days since you last used it.
- Gently blow your nose before using the nasal spray.
- Insert the spray tip into your nostril, pointing it straight up into your nose. Press your other nostril closed with your finger and keep your head upright. Pump the spray and gently inhale at the same time.
- Use only the number of sprays prescribed by your doctor.
- Clean the pump nozzle with a clean, damp tissue and recap it.
Try not to sneeze or blow your nose just after using the spray.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using azelastine.
Store at room temperature in an upright position, away from moisture and heat. Keep the dust cover on the spray nozzle when not in use. Do not allow this medicine to freeze.
Additional Astepro Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.