"March 5, 2013 -- Spring allergy season is again off to an early start in many parts of the country, and doctors say there are some signs it may be even more miserable than usual this year.
Last year was the fourth warmest winter on re"...
Astepro Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Astelin, Astepro
Generic Name: azelastine nasal (Pronunciation: a ZEL uh steen)
- What is azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What are the possible side effects of azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What is the most important information I should know about azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- How should I use azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Astepro)?
- What happens if I overdose (Astepro)?
- What should I avoid while taking azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- What other drugs will affect azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
Azelastine is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the chemical histamine in your body.
Azelastine prevents sneezing, itching, runny nose, and other nasal symptoms of allergies.
Azelastine nasal may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using azelastine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- bronchospasm (shortness of breath, tightness in chest, wheezing); or
- fast or uneven heartbeats.
Less serious side effects may include:
- a bitter taste in your mouth;
- drowsiness or dizziness;
- dry mouth, sore throat;
- burning in your nose;
- weight gain;
- cough, sneezing, runny nose, cold symptoms; or
- eye redness.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Astepro (azelastine hydrochloride nasal spray) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about azelastine nasal (Astepro)?
Azelastine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by azelastine.
Before using azelastine nasal, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by azelastine nasal.
Talk with your doctor if your allergy symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Additional Astepro Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.