"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today notified Ranbaxy Laboratories, Ltd., that it is prohibited from manufacturing and distributing active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) from its facility in Toansa, India, for FDA-regulated drug product"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Atromid-S Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Atromid-S
Generic Name: clofibrate (Pronunciation: kloe FIB rate)
- What is clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- What are the possible side effects of clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- What is the most important information I should know about clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- Who should not take clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- How should I take clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Atromid-S)?
- What happens if I overdose (Atromid-S)?
- What should I avoid while taking clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- What other drugs will affect clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
Clofibrate is used to lower high levels of cholesterol (a type of fat) in the blood. Clofibrate is especially good at lowering triglycerides and very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) (a form of cholesterol).
Clofibrate may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking clofibrate and seek emergency medical attention:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- chest pain or an irregular heart beat;
- severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting;
- fever and chills, a sore throat, or a flu-like feeling;
- blood in your urine or a decrease in urination;
- swelling of your ankles or legs;
- muscle cramps, muscle weakness, muscle aches, or muscle pain;
- joint pain; or
- sudden weight gain.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take clofibrate and talk to your doctor if you experience
- bloating or flatulence;
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
- dizziness or drowsiness; or
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Read the Atromid-S (clofibrate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about clofibrate (Atromid-S)?
Follow any diet or exercise plan outlined by your doctor. Diet and exercise are very important factors in controlling cholesterol.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, an irregular heartbeat, severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting, fever and chills, a sore throat, a flulike feeling, blood in your urine, a decrease in urination, muscle cramps, muscle pain, muscle weakness, painful joints, swelling in your ankles or legs, or sudden weight gain. These could be early signs of serious side effects.
Additional Atromid-S Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.