"Men with a pregnant partner should use a condom or abstain from sex for the duration of the pregnancy if they have visited, or live in, an area where mosquitos are spreading the Zika virus, which is strongly suspected of causing microcephaly in n"...
(amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium) Tablets, Powder for Suspension, or Chewable Tablets
AUGMENTIN is an oral antibacterial combination consisting of amoxicillin and the beta lactamase inhibitor, clavulanate potassium (the potassium salt of clavulanic acid).
Amoxicillin is an analog of ampicillin, derived from the basic penicillin nucleus, 6 aminopenicillanic acid. The amoxicillin molecular formula is C16H19N3O5S•3H2O, and the molecular weight is 419.46. Chemically, amoxicillin is (2S,5R,6R)-6-[(R)-(-)-2-Amino-2-(p-hydroxyphenyl)acetamido]-3,3- dimethyl-7-oxo-4-thia-1-azabicyclo[3.2.0]heptane-2-carboxylic acid trihydrate and may be represented structurally as:
Clavulanic acid is produced by the fermentation of Streptomyces clavuligerus. It is a beta-lactam structurally related to the penicillins and possesses the ability to inactivate some beta lactamases by blocking the active sites of these enzymes. The clavulanate potassium molecular formula is C8H8KNO5, and the molecular weight is 237.25. Chemically, clavulanate potassium is potassium (Z)(2R,5R)-3-(2-hydroxyethylidene)-7-oxo-4-oxa-1-azabicyclo[3.2.0]-heptane-2-carboxylate and may be represented structurally as:
- Tablets- Colloidal silicon dioxide, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide. Each tablet of AUGMENTIN contains 0.63 mEq potassium.
- Powder for Oral Suspension- Colloidal silicon dioxide, flavorings, xanthan gum, and one or more of the following: hypromellose, mannitol, silica gel, silicon dioxide, succinic acid,sodium saccharin, and aspartame. [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Chewable Tablets- Colloidal silicon dioxide, flavorings, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and one or
more of the following: D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Red No. 40, glycine, sodium saccharin, and
aspartame. [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Each 125-mg chewable tablet and each 5 mL of reconstituted 125/5 mL oral suspension of AUGMENTIN contains 0.16 mEq potassium
- Each 250-mg chewable tablet and each 5 mL of reconstituted 250/5 mL oral suspension of AUGMENTIN contains 0.32 mEq potassium
- Each 200-mg chewable tablet and each 5 mL of reconstituted 200/5 mL oral suspension of AUGMENTIN contains 0.14 mEq potassium
- Each 400-mg chewable tablet and each 5 mL of reconstituted 400/5 mL oral suspension of AUGMENTIN contains 0.29 mEq potassium
What are the possible side effects of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium (Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/31/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Augmentin Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.