Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a range of neurodevelopmental disorders predominantly characterized by impaired social functioning and communication disturbances. Symptoms can include intense focus on one item, unresponsiveness, lack of understanding social cues (like tone of voice or body language), repetitive movements, or self-abusive behavior like head-banging. The severity of the symptoms varies widely among affected individuals. Other possible symptoms include learning to speak relatively late, not playing interactively with other children, avoidance of eye contact, lack of empathy, and social withdrawal.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
United States. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. "Autism Fact Sheet." Dec. 30, 2013. <http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm>.
Main Article on Autism Symptoms and Signs
Autism Symptoms and Signs
- Abnormal Body Posturing or Facial Expressions
- Avoidance of Eye Contact
- Behavioral Disturbances
- Deficits in Language Comprehension
- Delay in Learning to Speak
- Flat or Monotonous Speech
- Intense Focus on One Topic
- Lack of Empathy
- Lack of Understanding Social Cues
- Not Engaging in Play With Peers
- Preoccupation With Specific Topics
- Problems With Two-Way Conversation
- Repeating Words or Phrases
- Repetitive Movements
- Self-Abusive Behaviors
- Social Withdrawal
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.