colchicine. This is the same active ingredient used in a prescription medication for gout and Mediterranean fever. Colchicine works by reducing the chemicals that cause joint swelling (inflammation) in people with these diseases.
In this Article
- What other names is Autumn Crocus known by?
- What is Autumn Crocus?
- How does Autumn Crocus work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Autumn Crocus.
If you have acute gout or familial Mediterranean fever, it is much safer to use colchicine prescribed by your healthcare provider. Prescription colchicine contains a set amount of medicine. The amount of colchicine in autumn crocus can vary from plant to plant.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.