"Dec. 24, 2012 -- Colorado Springs high school junior Morgan Smith can't remember a time when he didn't have life-threatening food allergies.
The 16-year-old had his first reaction to peanut butter at 9 months of age when he broke out in hiv"...
INSTRUCTIONS for Use
How to use Auvi-Q™
1. Pull Auvi-Q™ from the outer case
Do not proceed to step 2 until you are ready to use Auvi-Q™. If not ready to use, replace the outer case.
2. Pull off Red safety guard
To avoid an accidental injection, never touch the black base of the autoinjector. If an accidental injection does occur, seek medical help immediately.
NOTE: The safety guard is meant to be tight. Pull firmly to remove.
3. Place black end against the middle of the outer thigh (through clothing, if necessary), then press firmly and hold in place for 5 seconds. Each device is a single-use injection.
Only inject into the middle of the outer thigh (upper leg). Do not inject into any other location. Note: Auvi-Q™ makes a distinct sound (click and hiss) when activated. This is normal and indicates Auvi-Q™ is working correctly. Do not pull Auvi-Q™ away from your leg when you hear the click and hiss sound.
4. Seek medical attention immediately
Replace the outer case and take your used Auvi-Q™ with you to a healthcare professional for proper disposal and a prescription refill.
AFTER using Auvi-Q™
Seek medical attention immediately.
With a severe, long-lasting allergic reaction, you may need to administer an additional Auvi-Q™. More than two sequential doses of epinephrine should only be administered under direct medical supervision.
Following administration of Auvi-Q™:
- The black base will lock into place.
- The voice instruction system will confirm Auvi-Q™ has been used and the LED lights will blink red.
- The red safety guard cannot be replaced.
- The viewing window will no longer be clear.
- Some medicine will remain in Auvi-Q™. However, the injection is complete and you have received the correct dose of the medication.
- Take to your healthcare provider for proper disposal (never discard Auvi-Q™ in regular trash).*
- Discuss your medical history and current medications with the healthcare professional (for example, diabetic patients may need to adjust the dose of their diabetes medicines or insulin after using Auvi-Q™).
Auvi-Q™ and any remaining medicine cannot be reused. Until you dispose of your used Auvi-Q™, the interactive instruction system will remind you that it has been used whenever you remove the outer case.
General information about the safe and effective use of Auvi-Q™
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for conditions that are not mentioned in patient information leaflets. Do not use Auvi-Q™ for a condition for which it was not prescribed.
Never give Auvi-Q™ to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have.
This leaflet summarizes the most important information about Auvi-Q™. If you would like more information, talk with your Healthcare Provider or Pharmacist.
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/23/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Auvi-Q Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.