"July 1, 2011 -- Medicare will keep paying for the drug Avastin to fight breast cancer even though an FDA panel has recommended that the medication no longer be sold as a treatment for breast cancer.
Medicare, in a separate issue, says"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
- To undergo routine blood pressure monitoring and to contact their health care provider if blood pressure is elevated.
- To immediately contact their health care provider for unusual bleeding, high fever, rigors, sudden onset of worsening neurological function, or persistent or severe abdominal pain, severe constipation, or vomiting.
- Of increased risk of wound healing complications during and following Avastin.
- Of increased risk of an arterial thromboembolic event.
- Of the potential risk to the fetus during and following Avastin and the need to continue adequate contraception for at least 6 months following last dose of Avastin.
- Of the increased risk for ovarian failure following Avastin treatment.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/30/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Avastin Information
Avastin - User Reviews
Avastin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.