"July 1, 2011 -- Medicare will keep paying for the drug Avastin to fight breast cancer even though an FDA panel has recommended that the medication no longer be sold as a treatment for breast cancer.
Medicare, in a separate issue, says"...
- To undergo routine blood pressure monitoring and to contact their health care provider if blood pressure is elevated.
- To immediately contact their health care provider for unusual bleeding, high fever, rigors, sudden onset of worsening neurological function, or persistent or severe abdominal pain, severe constipation, or vomiting.
- Of increased risk of wound healing complications during and following Avastin.
- Of increased risk of an arterial thromboembolic event.
- Of the increased risk for ovarian failure following Avastin treatment.
- Advise female patients that Avastin may cause fetal harm and to inform their healthcare provider with a known or suspected pregnancy. [See WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, Use In Specific Populations]
- Advise females of reproductive potential to use effective contraception during treatment with Avastin and for 6 months after the last dose of Avastin. [See Use in Specific Populations]
- Advise nursing women that breastfeeding is not recommended during treatment with Avastin. [See Use In Specific Populations]
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/26/2015
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Avastin Information
Avastin - User Reviews
Avastin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.