Axid Oral Solution
"Troy Brown, RN
Medscape Medical News
Clostridium difficile caused nearly half a million infections and was associated with about 29,000 deaths in 2011, according to new data released today by the Centers for Disease Control "...
Axid Oral Solution
Axid Oral Solution Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Axid, Axid AR, Axid Pulvules
Generic Name: nizatidine (Pronunciation: ni ZA ti deen)
- What is nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What are the possible side effects of nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- How should I take nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What happens if I overdose (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What should I avoid' while taking nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- What other drugs will affect nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
Nizatidine is in a group of drugs called histamine-2 blockers. Nizatidine works by decreasing the amount of acid the stomach produces.
Nizatidine is used to treat ulcers in the stomach and intestines. Nizatidine also treats heartburn and erosive esophagitis caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition in which acid backs up from the stomach into the esophagus.
Nizatidine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Axid 150 mg
white/yellow, imprinted with Lilly 3144, AXID 150 mg
Axid 150 mg-REL
yellow, imprinted with 150, AXID Reliant
Axid 300 mg
orange/yellow, imprinted with Lilly 3145, AXID 300 mg
Nizatidine 150 mg-APO
white/yellow, imprinted with APO, 150
Nizatidine 150 mg-MYL
capsule, purple, imprinted with MYLAN 5150
Nizatidine 150 mg-TEV
capsule, brown/white, imprinted with N 894, 150
Nizatidine 150 mg-WAT
capsule, white, imprinted with 3137, WPI
Nizatidine 300 mg-APO
brown/white, imprinted with APO, 300
Nizatidine 300 mg-MYL
capsule, purple, imprinted with MYLAN 5300
Nizatidine 300 mg-TEV
capsule, brown, imprinted with N899, 300
Nizatidine 300 mg-WAT
capsule, brown, imprinted with 3138, WPI
What are the possible side effects of nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using nizatidine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- unusual bleeding, purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- fever, confusion; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- mild rash;
- diarrhea; or
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Axid Oral Solution (nizatidine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nizatidine (Axid Oral Solution)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to nizatidine or similar medications such as ranitidine (Zantac), cimetidine (Tagamet), or famotidine (Pepcid).
Before taking nizatidine, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, or stomach cancer or other problems.
Avoid taking cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), or famotidine (Pepcid) while you are taking nizatidine, unless your doctor has told you to.
Nizatidine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Nizatidine may be only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes changes in diet or lifestyle habits. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.
Heartburn is often confused with the first symptoms of a heart attack. Seek emergency medical attention if you have chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, and a general ill feeling.
Additional Axid Oral Solution Information
- Axid Oral Solution Drug Interactions Center: nizatidine oral
- Axid Oral Solution Side Effects Center
- Axid Oral Solution Overview including Precautions
- Axid Oral Solution FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Axid - User Reviews
Axid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.