"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a new use for Avastin (bevacizumab) to treat patients with persistent, recurrent or late-stage (metastatic) cervical cancer.
Cervical cancer grows in the tissues of the lower part of the "...
Patients with risk factors for arterial vascular disease (e.g., hypertension, diabetes mellitus, tobacco use, hypercholesterolemia, and obesity) and/or venous thromboembolism (e.g., personal history or family history of VTE, obesity, and systemic lupus erythematosus) should be managed appropriately.
Discontinue medication pending examination if there is a sudden partial or complete loss of vision or if there is sudden onset of proptosis, diplopia, or migraine. If examination reveals papilledema or retinal vascular lesions, medication should be discontinued.
- Because this drug may cause some degree of fluid retention, conditions which might be influenced by this factor, such as epilepsy, migraine, cardiac or renal dysfunctions, require careful observation.
- In cases of breakthrough bleeding, and in all cases of irregular bleeding per vagina, nonfunctional causes should be borne in mind. In cases of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, adequate diagnostic measures are indicated.
- Patients who have a history of clinical depression should be carefully observed and the drug discontinued if the depression recurs to a serious degree.
- Data suggest that progestin therapy may have adverse effects on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism. The choice of progestin, its dose, and its regimen may be important in minimizing these adverse effects, but these issues will require further study before they are clarified. Women with hyperlipidemias and/or diabetes should be monitored closely during progestin therapy.
- The pathologist should be advised of progestin therapy when relevant specimens are submitted.
Information For The Patient
Healthcare providers are advised to discuss the PATIENT INFORMATION leaflet with patients for whom they prescribe AYGESTIN.
Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, And Impairment Of Fertility
Some beagle dogs treated with medroxyprogesterone acetate developed mammary nodules. Although nodules occasionally appeared in control animals, they were intermittent in nature, whereas nodules in treated animals were larger and more numerous, and persisted. There is no general agreement as to whether the nodules are benign or malignant. Their significance with respect to humans has not been established.
Norethindrone acetate is contraindicated during pregnancy as it may cause fetal harm when administered to pregnant women. Several reports suggest an association between intrauterine exposure to progestational drugs in the first trimester of pregnancy and congenital abnormalities in male and female fetuses. Some progestational drugs induce mild virilization of the external genitalia of female fetuses.
Detectable amounts of progestins have been identified in the milk of mothers receiving them. Caution should be exercised when progestins are administered to a nursing woman.
AYGESTIN tablets are not indicated in children.This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/19/2016
Additional Aygestin Information
Aygestin - User Reviews
Aygestin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.