"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today the approval of Trumenba, the first vaccine licensed in the United States to prevent invasive meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B in individuals 10 throug"...
(mupirocin calcium) nasal ointment
For intranasal use only
Read this Patient Information Leaflet before you start using BACTROBAN nasal ointment and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your healthcare provider about your medical condition or your treatment.
What is BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
BACTROBAN nasal ointment is an antibiotic. It is used to reduce the amount of bacteria in your nose.
Who should not use BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
Do not use BACTROBAN nasal ointment if:
- you are allergic to mupirocin or any of the ingredients in BACTROBAN nasal ointment.
Before using BACTROBAN nasal ointment, tell your healthcare provider about your medical conditions and medicines you take including, if you:
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if BACTROBAN nasal ointment will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BACTROBAN nasal ointment passes into your breast milk.
- are taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements. Do not mix BACTROBAN nasal ointment with other intranasal products.
How should I use BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
- Always use BACTROBAN nasal ointment exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- It is important that you take the full course of BACTROBAN nasal ointment. Do not stop early because the amount of bacteria in your nose may not be reduced.
- Wash your hands before and after applying BACTROBAN nasal ointment.
- Apply approximately one-half of the ointment from a single-use tube to the inside surface at the front of each nostril 2 times a day for 5 days.
- Press the sides of your nose together and gently rub between your finger and thumb for about 1 minute. This spreads the ointment around the nose.
- Keep BACTROBAN nasal ointment away from your eyes. If the ointment gets in your eyes accidentally, wash them thoroughly with water.
What are the possible side effects of BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
BACTROBAN nasal ointment may cause serious side effects, including:
- allergic reactions. Stop using BACTROBAN nasal ointment and get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of an allergic reaction, including a raised and itchy rash, or swelling, sometimes of the face or mouth, causing difficulty breathing.
- inflammation of the colon (colitis). Stop using BACTROBAN nasal ointment and call your healthcare provider right away if you have severe watery diarrhea or bloody diarrhea.
- skin irritation. If you get a skin reaction, stop using BACTROBAN nasal ointment. Remove any ointment and tell your doctor as soon as possible.
These are not all the possible side effects of BACTROBAN nasal ointment. Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
- Store BACTROBAN nasal ointment at room temperature up to 25°C (77°F). Do not refrigerate.
General information about the safe and effective use of BACTROBAN nasal ointment.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information Leaflet. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information about BACTROBAN nasal ointment that is written for health professionals. Do not use BACTROBAN nasal ointment for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give BACTROBAN nasal ointment to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them.
What are the ingredients in BACTROBAN nasal ointment?
Active Ingredient: mupirocin calcium
Inactive Ingredients: paraffin and SOFTISAN® 649
For more information call 1-888-825-5249.
This Patient Information has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/26/2015
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Bactroban Nasal Information
Bactroban Nasal - User Reviews
Bactroban Nasal User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.