- What other names is Banaba known by?
- What is Banaba?
- How does Banaba work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Banaba.
Banaba is used for diabetes and weight loss.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Diabetes. Some early research suggests that taking a particular banaba extract (Glucosol) for 2 weeks lowers blood sugar by 10% in people with type 2 diabetes. However, other early research suggests that taking a single dose of corosolic acid, a chemical in banaba, before eating does not improve post-meal sugar tolerance.
- Weight loss.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Banaba work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.