"Drug Side Effects: Types
Side effects fall into several categories. Allergic reactions can happen with any drug and can range from itching and rash all the way up to a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction.
Other side ef"...
Do not use
- with another product containing any of these active ingredients
- if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.
- with any other product containing diphenhydramine, even one used on skin.
Ask a doctor before use if you have
- heart disease
- thyroid disease
- trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
- high blood pressure
- a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- cough accompanied by excessive phlegm (mucus)
- persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma or emphysema
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers
When using this product
do not use more than directed
- marked drowsiness may occur
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
- be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
- excitability may occur, especially in children
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- redness or swelling is present
- sore throat is severe
- you get nervous, dizzy, or sleepless
- new symptoms occur
- fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- pain, cough or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 5 days (children) or 7 days (adults)
- sore throat lasts for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, swelling, nausea, or vomiting
- cough comes back or occurs with rash or headache that lasts. These could
be signs of a serious condition.
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children.
call 1-800-524-2624 (English/Spanish), weekdays, 9 AM - 5 PM EST.
Last reviewed on RxList: 11/13/2007
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Benadryl Information
Benadryl - User Reviews
Benadryl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.