"Dec. 14, 2012 -- Drinking a glass of beet juice may have an immediate impact on lowering blood pressure, according to a new study.
The study shows that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure (the top n"...
Benicar Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Benicar
Generic Name: olmesartan (Pronunciation: OL me SAR tan)
- What is olmesartan (Benicar)?
- What are the possible side effects of olmesartan (Benicar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about olmesartan (Benicar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking olmesartan (Benicar)?
- How should I take olmesartan (Benicar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Benicar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Benicar)?
- What should I avoid while taking olmesartan (Benicar)?
- What other drugs will affect olmesartan (Benicar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is olmesartan (Benicar)?
Olmesartan is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Olmesartan keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Olmesartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) in adults and children who are at least 6 years old. It is sometimes given together with other blood pressure medications.
Olmesartan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Benicar 5 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with Sankyo, C12
What are the possible side effects of olmesartan (Benicar)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- chest pain, fast heart rate; or
- swelling in your hands or feet.
Less serious side effects may include:
- joint or muscle pain;
- back pain;
- stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Benicar (olmesartan medoxomil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about olmesartan (Benicar)?
Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Olmesartan can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to olmesartan.
Drinking alcohol can further lower your blood pressure and may increase certain side effects of olmesartan.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking olmesartan, unless your doctor has told you to.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Keep using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Benicar Information
- Benicar Drug Interactions Center: olmesartan oral
- Benicar Side Effects Center
- Benicar Overview including Precautions
- Benicar FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Benicar - User Reviews
Benicar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.