"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Viberzi (eluxadoline) and Xifaxan (rifaximin), two new treatments, manufactured by two different companies, for irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in adult men and women.
Bentyl Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Bentyl
Generic Name: dicyclomine (Pronunciation: dye SYE kloe meen)
- What is dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- What are the possible side effects of dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- How should I take dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Bentyl)?
- What happens if I overdose (Bentyl)?
- What should I avoid while taking dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- What other drugs will affect dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
Dicyclomine relieves spasms of the muscles in the stomach and intestines.
Dicyclomine is used to treat functional bowel or irritable bowel syndrome.
Dicyclomine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Bentyl 10 mg
blue, capsule, imprinted with BENTYL 10
Bentyl 20 mg
round, blue, imprinted with BENTYL 20
Dicyclomine 10 mg-MYL
capsule, blue, imprinted with MYLAN 1610
Dicyclomine 10 mg-URL
capsule, blue, imprinted with LAN, 0586
Dicyclomine 10 mg-WAT
capsule, blue, imprinted with WATSON 794, 10 mg
Dicyclomine 20 mg-MYL
round, blue, imprinted with M D6
Dicyclomine 20 mg-URL
round, blue, imprinted with WW 27
Dicyclomine 20 mg-WAT
round, blue, imprinted with WATSON 795
What are the possible side effects of dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using dicyclomine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain;
- worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms;
- feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, nervousness;
- blurred vision;
- dry mouth, stuffy nose; or
- mild constipation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Bentyl (dicyclomine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dicyclomine (Bentyl)?
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of dicyclomine.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Dicyclomine can decrease your sweating, which can lead to heat stroke in a hot environment.
Stop using dicyclomine and call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects such as confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior, fast or uneven heart rate, or if you urinate less than usual or not at all.
There are many other medicines that can interact with dicyclomine. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
Additional Bentyl Information
- Bentyl Drug Interactions Center: dicyclomine oral
- Bentyl Side Effects Center
- Bentyl Overview including Precautions
- Bentyl FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Bentyl - User Reviews
Bentyl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.