"The Ministry of Health (MoH) of Guinea reported on April 5, 2014, a total of 151 probable and suspect cases, including 95 deaths (case fatality ratio: 63%). Of these suspect cases, 52 have been laboratory confirmed positive cases of Ebola hemo"...
Biltricide Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Biltricide
Generic Name: praziquantel (Pronunciation: PRAZ i KWON tel)
- What is praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- What are the possible side effects of praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- What is the most important information I should know about praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- How should I take praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Biltricide)?
- What happens if I overdose (Biltricide)?
- What should I avoid while taking praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- What other drugs will affect praziquantel (Biltricide)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is praziquantel (Biltricide)?
Praziquantel is an anthelmintic (an-thel-MIN-tik) or anti-worm medication. It prevents newly hatched insect larvae (worms) from growing or multiplying in your body.
Praziquantel is used to treat infections caused by Schistosoma worms, which enter the body through skin that has come into contact with contaminated water. Schistosoma worms are found in Africa, South America, Middle Eastern countries, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia.
Praziquantel is also used to treat infection with liver flukes, caused by a type of worm found in East Asia. This worm enters the body while eating contaminated fish.
Praziquantel should not be used to treat parasitic infections in the eye.
Praziquantel may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of praziquantel (Biltricide)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Less serious side effects may include:
- tired feeling;
- headache, dizziness;
- nausea, upset stomach;
- mild fever; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Biltricide (praziquantel) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about praziquantel (Biltricide)?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to praziquantel, or if you have take rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rifamate) in the last 4 weeks.
Before taking praziquantel, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, heart disease, liver disease, or a history of seizures or epilepsy.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 4 years old.
Praziquantel may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Praziquantel should be taken with a meal.
Do not crush or chew the praziquantel tablet. Swallow the pill whole.
Take this medication with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
Additional Biltricide Information
- Biltricide Drug Interactions Center: praziquantel oral
- Biltricide Side Effects Center
- Biltricide Overview including Precautions
- Biltricide FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Biltricide - User Reviews
Biltricide User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.