May 30, 2016
6 Birth Control Options
Table of Contents
- Birth control facts
- How does birth control work?
- How long does it take for birth control to begin working?
- Can you get pregnant on birth control?
- What are the different types of birth control available?
- 1. What are hormonal birth control options (including oral contraceptives pills)?
- 2. What are barrier methods of birth control (including condoms)?
- 3. What about surgical sterilization (tubal ligation or vasectomy) for birth control?
- 4. What are natural birth control options?
- 5. What is emergency contraception?
- 6. What are IUDs (intrauterine devices)
How does birth control work?
Birth control works to prevent pregnancy in different ways.
- Hormonal birth control methods work by preventing ovulation, so that a woman is temporarily infertile.
- Barrier methods of birth control to prevents the man's sperm from reaching an egg.
- Barrier methods include
- condoms, and
- cervical caps.
- Spermicde is a chemical that destroys sperm to prevent them from reaching the egg.
- Birth control methods such as intrauterine devices work by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus and causing a pregnancy. Continue Reading
2/10Reviewed on 4/26/2016
Birth Control Methods Related Articles
- Estrostep Fe
- Junel FE
- Larin Fe
- Loestrin Fe
- Ortho Evra
- Ortho Micronor
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen
- Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo
- Plan B
- Plan B One-Step